Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Alpha Course... just do it!

Last spring I took a course at our church called the Alpha Course. It is a 10 week course in exploring Christianity. Our family has become more involved in our church and their activities, and I felt like a "basic" course in Christianity would be a good thing for me to feel more comfortable with the church stuff. I really enjoyed the class itself, and the small group discussions were very relaxed and open, so I felt comfortable enough to ask what may be considered "dumb" questions.
Skip ahead to this week... the co-leader of Alpha (at our church) called and asked if I could be at the church at noon on Wednesday for a minute or two. I was very curious and a little apprehensive, but I said yes, that's possible. Well, it turns out they were making a short film (very short) to be shown before Sunday's sermon. He wanted me to be one of the people to answer the question "what do you think of Alpha".
So after Susie's "Meet the Teacher", we drove the two blocks to our church and I (along with three others) gave my little spiel. I am a big believer in Alpha, I think that everyone can get something out of it, whether you already have a great relationship with the Lord or if you are really just wondering what all the fuss is about, whether you are an athiest or if you are a devout Catholic or Presbyterian who has always done what was expected, but didn't really carry it past Sunday morning. So I have told many people, from close friends to almost strangers that they should check it out. Oh yeah, the best part is that it's free! Our church just asks for a donation to pay for the food they serve (you eat a homecooked meal before each session).
If you want more info, you can go to the website. http://www.alpha.org/. You can also find a course close to you. I think there are 3 or 4 churches in Summerville that offer it two times a year.

No comments: